- 8 oz. firm or extra firm tofu 3⁄4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1⁄2 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1⁄8 tsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. salsa
- 1 Tbsp. water
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 cup canned black beans, ≈ 1⁄2 can, rinsed and drained
- 6 small tortillas, corn, or flour
- Avocado slices
- Lime juice
- 1⁄4 cup pomegranate arils
- 1⁄4 cup red onion, diced
- 1 cup cilantro, chopped
Method of Preparation:
- Press tofu between dish towels or paper towels with heavy items (skillet, cans, etc.) on top to drain as much liquid as possible while prepping other ingredients.
- Add garlic powder, chili powder, cumin, salt and water to a small bowl and mix. Add more water if needed to make a pourable sauce.
- Crumble tofu with a fork.
- Heat a large skillet over medium and add once the pan is hot, add oil and the tofu. Stir fry for 4-5 minutes to brown. Add seasoning and toss to coat. Continue cooking until browned and fragrant for about 5 minutes. Stir frequently to avoid burning. Set aside.
- To serve, warm tortillas in the microwave wrapped in a damp paper towel or in a skillet on low heat flipping often.
- Top tortillas with tofu scramble, black beans, and any optional garnishes.
Adapted from: https://minimalistbaker.com/easy-vegan-breakfast-tacos/
Culinary Medicine Series
Culinary medicine blends the art of food and cooking with the science of medicine. Discover how eating high-quality meals can help prevent and treat disease while restoring well-being. From our home to yours! Join registered dietitians virtually each week as our team guide you through recipe hacks, how to use pantry staples, and the latest nutrition research. Join our cooking demonstrations every other Tuesday night!