This flavor-packed salad recipe from our Culinary Medicine Registered Dietitians is full of colorful veggies and makes for a fantastic lunch!
¾ cup uncooked quinoa
1 ½ cups shredded red cabbage
1 red bell pepper, diced
1/2 small red onion, diced
1 cup shredded carrots
½ cup chopped cilantro
¼ cup diced green onions
½ cup cashew halves or peanuts
1 cup edamame or chickpeas
¼ cup all natural peanut butter
3 T low-sodium soy sauce
2 t freshly grated ginger
1 T rice vinegar
1 t sesame oil
1 t avocado oil
Juice of 1 fresh lime (optional)
Water to thin (optional)
1. Rinse quinoa with cold water in a mesh strainer. In a medium saucepan, bring 1 ½ cups water to a boil. Add quinoa and bring mixture to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and let simmer for 15 minutes or until quinoa has absorbed all water. Remove from heat, and fluff with a fork. Place in a large bowl and set aside to cool.
2. Make the dressing by adding peanut butter and soy sauce to a medium microwave-safe bowl; heat for 20 seconds, then whisk until smooth. Add in ginger, vinegar, sesame oil, avocado oil, and lime juice and stir until mixture is smooth and creamy. Add 1-2 teaspoons water for a thinner dressing.
3. Add dressing to the quinoa. Stir to combine.
4. Fold in red pepper, onion, cabbage, carrots, and cilantro.
5. Garnish with cashews and green onions. Serve chilled or at room temperature, with lime wedges.
Nutrition per serving
Recipe modified from https://www.ambitiouskitchen.com/thai-chicken-quinoa-salad/