This week, the Culinary Medicine team is pleased to share a recipe for these delicious and crisp Thai Chicken Lettuce Wraps.
Ingredients (Serves 6):
- 1 tsp. sesame oil
- 2 Tbsp. oyster sauce (or hoisin sauce) 1 Tbsp. low sodium soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1⁄2 jalapeno, chopped
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 8 shitake mushrooms
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1” piece of ginger, sliced
- 1 lb. ground chicken breast
- 6-8 water chestnuts, chopped
- 3 oz. rice noodles
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1 head bibb lettuce, washed
- Sriracha or chili oil (optional)
- Break rice noodles into smaller pieces and follow cooking instructions on the package. Once cooked through, briefly run the noodles under cold water to stop the cooking. Drain well and drizzle with a little sesame oil (or oil of choice) to keep from sticking together. Set aside.
- While noodles are cooking, in a small bowl, whisk the first 6 ingredients together.
- Heat oil in a large pan, add mushrooms, and sear for 2 minutes.
- Add garlic and ginger. Sauté for 1 minute.
- Add the chicken and cook for 10 minutes on medium heat to brown.
- Add the water chestnuts and stir in the sauce mixture. Cook for 10 minutes or until sauce has thickened and chicken is cooked to 165° F.
- Fold in the cooked and cooled rice noodles.
- Remove from heat and allow mixture to cool slightly while you prepare the lettuce.
- Carefully remove the lettuce leaves, wash, and form into cups.
- Place on a serving plate and spoon the mixture into the lettuce cups. 11.Drizzle with a little Sriracha or chili oil (optional).
Culinary Medicine Series
Culinary medicine blends the art of food and cooking with the science of medicine. Discover how eating high-quality meals can help prevent and treat disease while restoring well-being. From our home to yours! Join registered dietitians virtually each week as our team guide you through recipe hacks, how to use pantry staples, and the latest nutrition research.
Looking for more recipes online? Visit the recipe section of our blog for all the latest!Register for Culinary Medicine Classes