This March, we’re all about nutrition and we love a good, healthy recipe. This Sweet Pea Ricotta Bruschetta is the perfect, fresh Spring snack that is beautifully green!
1 small lemon, zested and juiced
1 ½ cups fresh or frozen shelled peas
1 T granulated sugar
¼ cup vegetable oil
Small handful mint leaves
1 cup ricotta cheese, part skim
2 oz. soft goat cheese, crumbled
12 oz. baguette, sliced into ½” rounds
1 large clove of garlic, halved
2-3 small radishes, cut into thin strips (optional)
1. In a medium saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add peas and sugar. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 2 to 4 minutes or until just tender. Drain. Transfer to a large bowl of ice water to cool. Drain well.
2. Add peas, 2 tablespoons of the oil, the lemon juice, and mint to a food processor. Process until smooth (mixture should be the consistency of hummus; add a little warm water, if needed). Season to taste with salt and pepper; set aside.
3. In a small mixing bowl stir together lemon peel, ricotta, and goat cheese. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
4. Brush bread slices with the remaining 2 tablespoons oil. Toast in a grill pan or under the broiler, turning once. Rub each warm bread slice with cut side of garlic.
5. To assemble, spread ricotta mixture over each slice of bread and top with pea mixture. If desired, garnish with radishes.
Nutrition per serving
Adapted from Libbie Summers in Better Homes & Gardens.
Interested in learning to cook recipes like this? Our Culinary Medicine Program holds regular cooking classes. Find out more information and sign up for our cooking classes HERE.