We recently prepared this seasonal and easy-to-make Stuffed Acorn Squash recipe in one of our Culinary Medicine classes. It yields a hearty and delicious meal that also looks beautiful on a plate! Join us weekly and learn to cook healthy recipes just like this one.
2 acorn squash, cut in half and seeds removed
2 t olive oil
1 t paprika
1/8 t kosher salt
1/8 t. pepper
1 + 1 T olive oil
½ pound turkey Italian sausage, casings removed
½ large onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 cups white mushroom, diced
½ bunch of kale, ribs removed and torn into pieces (about 3 cups)
½ cup low sodium tomato sauce
¼ tsp. black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 370 degrees F.
2. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
3. Pour olive oil over the acorn squash and sprinkle with paprika, salt, and pepper.
4. Bake in oven for 50-60 minutes, until skin is soft and fork-tender.
5. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat and add sausage, using a wooden spoon break into coarse pieces. Cook until brown.
6. Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil and onions; cook until they’re soft, 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
7. Add mushroom and cook for 3 to 5 minutes. Stir occasionally.
8. Add kale and tomato sauce and cover the skillet with a lid, cooking until kale is tender.
9. Divide filling among squash.
Nutrition per serving