Black bean burgers have been popping up in restaurants everywhere, and now you can replicate it in your kitchen. Change up your burger indulgence with this spicy black bean burger recipe!
Spicy Black Bean Burger Ingredients
Servings per recipe: 4
- 15 oz. can low sodium or no salt added black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped into 2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup scallions, chopped
- 3 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/2 cup quick oats
- 1 large egg
- 1 ½ tablespoon ground flaxseed, optional
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
1. After rinsing the beans, dry them well. Too much moisture will prevent the burgers from combining well.
2. Mash dried beans in a bowl with a fork until they form a thick paste.
3. Use a food processor to finely chop bell pepper, scallions, cilantro, and garlic.
4. Add oats, then eggs, flaxseed, cumin, and hot sauce to the food processor and combine well.
5. Stir mixture from the food processor into mashed beans.
6. Separate into four patties*. Place patties on a flat surface covered with wax paper. If mixture is too wet to form patties, chill for 30 minutes in the refrigerator or add an additional tablespoon of oats.
7. Freeze patties for at least 2 hours prior to cooking, or freeze until ready to cook.
8. To cook frozen burgers, lightly spray skillet with cooking oil spray and heat to medium. Cook patties approximately 7 minutes each side and enjoy!
*Lightly oiled hands can help or you can spoon the mixture onto waxed paper to form.
This spicy black bean burger recipe is curated by our culinary medicine team and adapted from Gina Homolka via skinnytaste.com.