2 T extra virgin olive oil
1 1/2 lbs carrots, peeled, chopped (about 4 cups)
1 carrot peeled, thinly sliced or shredded
1/2 t salt
1 large shallot, chopped
1 1-inch piece of ginger, peeled, finely grated
4 garlic cloves, chopped
2 t curry powder
1 T coriander powder
1 15oz. can unsweetened low-fat coconut milk
2 T fresh lemon juice
Additional toppings: Crushed red pepper flakes, Fresno chilies or jalapenos, toasted sesame seeds, scallions or cilantro leaves
1. Heat oil in a small pot over medium-high.
2. Add chopped carrots, season with salt, and cook, tossing occasionally, until lightly browned around the edges (about 5-6 minutes).
3. Add shallot, ginger, curry powder and coriander and cook, stirring often, until shallot and garlic are softened (about 4-5 minutes).
4. Add coconut milk and 1 1/2 cups of water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until carrots are tender, 20-25 minutes.
5. Puree with an immersion blender, or, carefully, in small batches in a blender until smooth. (be sure to make sure that the small cap set within the blender jar lid is removed so that steam can escape)
6. Serve with choice of additional toppings.
Nutrition per serving: