Our Culinary Medicine team is pleased to present a new recipe – a Smokey White Bean Shakshuka that serves four.
Smokey White Bean Shakshuka Ingredients
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 28oz. can whole peeled tomatoes
- 1/2 Tbsp. smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/8 tsp. crushed red pepper
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- Salt to taste
- 1 15oz. can cannellini beans
- 4 large eggs
- 1 handful fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 oz. feta, crumbled
- Mince the garlic and finely dice the onion. Cook both in a large deep skillet with olive oil over medium heat until the onions are soft and transparent (about 5 minutes).
- Add the canned tomatoes and their juices, crushing the tomatoes with your hands as you add them to the skillet. Add the smoked paprika, cumin, oregano, red pepper flakes, and some freshly cracked pepper as well. Stir to combine.
- Allow the sauce to come to a simmer. Let the sauce simmer, stirring occasionally, for 5-7 minutes, or until it has thickened slightly. Add 1/4 tsp salt, then taste the sauce and adjust the salt or other spices to your liking.
- Drain the white beans, add them to the skillet, then stir to combine. Allow the skillet to return to a simmer. Simmer for 2-3 minutes more.
- Crack four eggs into the skillet, then place a lid on top and let them simmer for 5 minutes, or until the whites are set but the yolks are still soft.
- Top the skillet with the crumbled feta and chopped parsley.
Adapted from BudgetBytes
Culinary Medicine Series
Culinary medicine blends the art of food and cooking with the science of medicine. Discover how eating high-quality meals can help prevent and treat disease, while restoring wellbeing. From our home to yours! Join registered dietitians virtually each week as our team guide you through recipe hacks, how to use pantry staples, and the latest nutrition research.Register for Culinary Medicine Classes