While this dish is typically served as a breakfast food, enjoy this bright dish of poached eggs in delicious tomato sauce for a healthy meal any time of day!
1 T olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 large red bell pepper, seeded and diced
3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
2 t ground cumin
2 t sweet paprika
⅛ t cayenne, or to taste (optional)
1 (28-ounce) can low-sodium whole plum tomatoes with juices, coarsely chopped
Pinch salt and pepper
3 oz. fat-free feta cheese, crumbled (about 1/2 cup)
6 large eggs
Chopped cilantro or parsley, for serving
Hot sauce, for serving
1. Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat and add onion and bell pepper. Cook gently until very soft, about 20 minutes.
3. Add garlic and cook until tender, 1 to 2 minutes.
4. Stir in cumin, paprika, and cayenne, and cook 1 minute.
5. Pour in tomatoes and season with salt and pepper. Simmer until tomatoes have thickened, about 10 minutes.
6. Stir in crumbled feta.
7. Gently crack eggs into skillet over tomatoes and lightly season with salt and pepper. Cover skillet with a lid and allow the eggs to slowly poach in the tomato base.
8. Sprinkle with cilantro and serve with hot sauce and torn pieces of pita.
Nutrition per serving
“Adapted from Melissa Clark NYT”