It’s finally autumn and the Culinary Medicine team has a new recipe for a hearty Pumpkin Black Bean Soup to share!
Pumpkin Black Bean Soup Ingredients (Serves 6)
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 cup vegetable broth, divided (more if needed to keep pan from burning)
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. curry powder
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. cayenne powder, or to taste
- ¼ tsp. black pepper, or to taste
- 2 15 oz. cans pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix)
- 1 15.5 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 4 oz. can diced green chiles (mild, medium or hot)
- 1 13.5 oz. can coconut milk
- 1 14.5 oz. can fire roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- Pepitas (optional for topping)
- Chopped chives (optional for topping)
- Add ½ cup vegetable broth to pan along with diced onion and sauté until very tender, about 10 minutes. Watch your pan so that it doesn’t dry up and burn. Add more broth if necessary.
- Add chili powder, curry powder, cumin, salt, cayenne powder, and black pepper, stirring to coat the onions and slightly toast the seasonings.
- Add in pumpkin, black beans, green chiles, coconut milk, and undrained diced tomatoes.
- Add up to ½ cup or so of broth to get the best consistency.
- Stir together and heat through until barely brought to a boil.
- Ladle into bowls and top with pepitas and chopped chives (if desired).
Culinary Medicine Series
Culinary medicine blends the art of food and cooking with the science of medicine. Discover how eating high-quality meals can help prevent and treat disease while restoring well-being. From our home to yours! Join registered dietitians virtually each week as our team guide you through recipe hacks, how to use pantry staples, and the latest nutrition research.
Looking for more recipes online? Visit the recipe section of our blog for all the latest!Register for Culinary Medicine Classes