Pan-Roasted Trout (Plus a Bonus Side Dish!)
Trout season came early this year and we have the perfect recipe to share.
2 t chopped fresh rosemary
2 pounds of trout fillets
¼ cup all-purpose flour
½ t salt, plus more to taste
Freshly ground pepper to taste
1 T olive oil
2 shallots, peeled and minced
1 cup white wine
1 T lemon juice
1 T drained capers
1. Press 1/2 teaspoon of the rosemary needles into the flesh of each trout fillet.
2. Combine the flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper to taste. Coat the fillets in the seasoned flour.
3. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
4. Add the trout and sauté until cooked through, about 2 1/2 minutes per side. Remove the trout from the pan and place on warmed plates. Add the shallots to the skillet and cook, stirring constantly, for 15 seconds.
5. Pour in the wine and reduce to 1/3 cup, about 5 minutes. Stir in the lemon juice, capers, and remaining teaspoon rosemary and remove from the heat. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
6. Place 1 trout fillet on each of 4 plates, spoon the sauce over the trout and serve immediately.
Nutrition per serving
Bonus side dish
Pair your trout with the following farro salad recipe for a complete nutritious meal.
Farro Salad Ingredients
8 – 10 Servings
¼ lb. farro
Grated zest and juice of 1 ½ lemons
1 small shallot, diced finely
½ cup pine nuts
1 lb zucchini, thinly sliced or shredded
½ cup flat-leaf parsley, chopped
4 oz. shaved parmesan cheese
1. In a small bowl, combine shallot and lemon juice. Allow melding flavors for 15 minutes.
2. Place farro into a saucepan, and add enough cold water to cover by 3”.
3. Bring to a boil, add a pinch salt and stir once.
4. Reduce heat to medium, and simmer for 10-12 minutes.
5. Drain and allow to cool.
6. Heat a small saute pan and toast the pine nuts for about 5 minutes.
7. Remove from heat and add lemon zest.
8. Place zucchini into a large bowl, add the farro, pine nuts, parsley and shallot mixture.
9. Season with salt and pepper and add shaved parmesan.
Nutrition per serving
This recipe is curated by our culinary medicine team. Find more healthy recipes through our Pinterest boards!