You’ll love this healthy meal that just screams SPRING! This recipe highlights tender, yet crunchy, green vegetables over bright and delicious risotto.
For the broth
5 cups broth of your choice (vegetable or chicken work best) + 1 Parmesan rind
Herbs of choice; basil, parsley stalks, chives (whatever you have)
For the Risotto
4 T olive oil
2 T butter
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 onion, finely chopped
2 cups Arborio rice
1-2 lemons, zested and juiced
1 cup frozen peas
1 cup asparagus pieces
5 T parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper to taste
Optional: sautéed chicken, shrimp or scallops as a side
1. For the broth: Place broth, rind, and herbs into a saucepan and bring to a simmer. You will need to keep this at a simmer throughout the cooking process.
2. Melt butter and olive oil in a pan over med-low heat.
3. Add onion and garlic and sauté until transparent; about 5 minutes.
4. Add rice and cook, stirring until it starts to make a crackling noise and is well coated in the oil and onion mix.
5. Add 2-3 ladles of hot broth and stir to combine; when this is absorbed, add another ladle of broth and so on for about 15 minutes.
6. The risotto should be looking a little whiter and losing some of its transparency.
7. Add the asparagus, and stir through.
8. Add another ladle of broth, and stir to combine. Continue as before for further 5 minutes.
9. Add the peas, parmesan, salt, and pepper and stir through cooking for further 3-5 minutes.
10. Taste the rice. It is cooked when it is still firm to the bite, though with outer softness. For a soupier risotto, add more broth and cook until the rice is soft to the bite.
11. Turn off the heat, and add the lemon zest and juice. Rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Nutrition per serving:
Interested in learning to cook recipes like this? Our Culinary Medicine Program holds regular cooking classes. Find out more information and sign up for our cooking classes HERE.