You’ll love this healthy meal that just screams SPRING! This recipe highlights tender, yet crunchy, green vegetables over bright and delicious risotto.
Lemon, Asparagus, and Pea Risotto Ingredients
For the broth
5 cups broth of your choice (vegetable or chicken work best) + 1 Parmesan rind
Herbs of choice; basil, parsley stalks, chives (whatever you have)
For the Risotto
4 T olive oil
2 T butter
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 onion, finely chopped
2 cups Arborio rice
1-2 lemons, zested and juiced
1 cup frozen peas
1 cup asparagus pieces
5 T parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper to taste
Optional: sautéed chicken, shrimp or scallops as a side
Method of Preparation
1. For the broth: Place broth, rind, and herbs into a saucepan and bring to a simmer. You will need to keep this at a simmer throughout the cooking process.
2. Melt butter and olive oil in a pan over med-low heat.
3. Add onion and garlic and sauté until transparent; about 5 minutes.
4. Add rice and cook, stirring until it starts to make a crackling noise and is well coated in the oil and onion mix.
5. Add 2-3 ladles of hot broth and stir to combine; when this is absorbed, add another ladle of broth and so on for about 15 minutes.
6. The risotto should be looking a little whiter and losing some of its transparency.
7. Add the asparagus, and stir through.
8. Add another ladle of broth, and stir to combine. Continue as before for further 5 minutes.
9. Add the peas, parmesan, salt, and pepper and stir through cooking for further 3-5 minutes.
10. Taste the rice. It is cooked when it is still firm to the bite, though with outer softness. For a soupier risotto, add more broth and cook until the rice is soft to the bite.
11. Turn off the heat, and add the lemon zest and juice. Rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Nutrition per serving
Interested in learning to cook recipes like this? Our Culinary Medicine Program holds regular cooking classes. Find out more information and sign up for our cooking classes HERE.