There are many ways to prepare tofu and this Korean sesame-crusted tofu recipe is a delicious method to enjoy a protein-packed vegetarian meal.
Korean Sesame-Crusted Tofu Ingredients
16 oz. extra firm tofu, drained and pressed
2 Tbsp. sesame seeds
4 tsp. toasted sesame oil, divided
1 lb. bok choy, coarsely chopped (4 cups)
1 medium bell pepper, any color, sliced
1 medium zucchini, diced
8 green onions, thinly sliced (1⁄2 cup)
6 cloves garlic, minced (2 Tbsp.)
2 bird’s eye chiles or other small chile peppers, seeded and minced
2 Tbsp. low-sodium soy sauce
Brown rice, optional for serving
Kimchee, optional for serving
Method of Preparation
1. Press tofu by placing the block between 2 dishtowels, put a cutting board on top and then place something heavy like a cast-iron skillet or canned goods on the cutting board; anything that will press out moisture for 15-30 minutes if time allows.
2. Cut tofu into bite-size cubes.
3. Add sesame seeds to a small bowl and add tofu, toss to coat.
4. Heat 2 tsp. oil in wok or large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add tofu, and sauté 10 minutes, or until golden brown. Put tofu on a plate and set aside.
5. Heat remaining 2 tsp. oil in wok over high heat. Add bok choy and bell pepper; stir-fry 4 minutes.
6. Stir in zucchini, green onions, garlic, and chiles; stir-fry 2 minutes more.
7. Stir in soy sauce, then fold in tofu.
8. Serve with brown rice and kimchee if using.
Nutrition per serving
Don’t forget to join us on Tuesday evenings for our virtual cooking classes!