This week, the Culinary Medicine team presents a recipe for Kimchee Fried Rice with Baked Tofu!
Kimchee Fried Rice with Baked Tofu Ingredients (Serves 2)
- 1 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- ½ small onion, medium dice
- 1 cup roughly chopped kimchi (6 ounces)
- 2 Tbsp. kimchi juice, or to taste
- 2 cups cooked, cooled rice (preferably brown short-grain)
- 6 oz. baked tofu, cubed
- 2 tsp. soy sauce, or to taste
- 1 tsp. sesame oil
- Salt to taste
- ½ cup small-dice Spam, ham or leftover cooked meat
- Crumbled or slivered nori (roasted seaweed) for garnish
- Sesame seeds for garnish
- In a nonstick sauté pan or well-seasoned cast-iron skillet, melt butter over medium-low heat, and add onions. Cook, stirring, until the onions start to sizzle, about 2 minutes.
- Add kimchi and kimchi juice, and stir until it comes to a boil, about 3 minutes. Add tofu (and meat, if using) and cook until sauce is nearly dried out, about 5 minutes.
- Break up the rice in the pan with a spatula, and stir it to incorporate. Turn heat to medium.
- Cook, stirring, until the rice has absorbed the sauce and is very hot, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in soy sauce and sesame oil, taste, and adjust with more soy sauce, oil or kimchi juice.
- Turn heat down slightly, but let the rice continue to cook, untouched, until lightly brown.
- Optional: Add nori and sesame seeds for garnish.
Culinary Medicine Series
Culinary medicine blends the art of food and cooking with the science of medicine. Discover how eating high-quality meals can help prevent and treat disease while restoring well-being. From our home to yours! Join registered dietitians virtually each week as our team guide you through recipe hacks, how to use pantry staples, and the latest nutrition research.
Looking for more recipes online? Visit the recipe section of our blog for all the latest!Register for Culinary Medicine Classes