This week, the Culinary Medicine team presents a recipe for hearty, vegetarian Jackfruit Tacos!
Jackfruit Tacos Ingredients
- 2 20 oz. cans of Jackfruit in brine
- 1–2 Tbsp. avocado or olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion (about 3/4 cup), chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chipped
- 3/4 cup fire-roasted tomatoes
- 2 tsp. smoked paprika (or more to taste)
- 2 chipotle in adobo pepper
- 1–4 tsp. adobo sauce (depending on how spicy you like it)
- 1 tsp. oregano
- salt, pepper
- 1 tsp. maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- To assemble (optional):
- Corn tortillas
- Red onion
- Drain and rinse Jackfruit, cut off the stem and discard it. Place the jackfruit in a mixing bowl and shared it with your hands. Set aside.
- Pre-heat cast iron skillet or large pan over medium heat.
- Spray the pan with oil and wait for it to heat up. Add onions to the skillet and sauté on medium heat till translucent for about 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook till fragrant, about 30 seconds longer. Transfer onion and garlic to the blender, add fire-roasted tomatoes, paprika, chipotle peppers and adobo sauce (start from 1 tsp and add more later if you would like to add more heat. Blend till smooth.
- Turn the stove back on to medium heat and spray your pan with more oil. Add shredded jackfruit to the pan and saute for 2-3 minutes, shredding the remaining pieces by pressing with the back of the spatula. Add the tomato mixture to the pan and mix to combine. Add the remaining ingredients and stir. Cook for another 7-10 minutes. Taste and add extra chipotle sauce for more heat, maple syrup to balance the flavor or lime juice for more acidity.
- Warm your tortilla bread and smash some avocado on it, or place the jackfruit directly on a tortilla and top with red onion, chopped cilantro and avocado. Enjoy!
Culinary Medicine Series
Culinary medicine blends the art of food and cooking with the science of medicine. Discover how eating high-quality meals can help prevent and treat disease, while restoring well-being. From our home to yours! Join registered dietitians virtually each week as our team guide you through recipe hacks, how to use pantry staples, and the latest nutrition research.
Looking for more recipes online? Visit the recipe section of our blog for all the latest!Register for Culinary Medicine Classes