You’ll love this flavorful oven baked chicken recipe made with an Indian spiced yogurt marinade. Serve it with couscous for a satisfying meal packed with protein.
4 large garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 T finely grated ginger
1/2 t salt + ¼ t salt
2 cups plain low-fat yogurt
2 T extra-virgin olive oil
1 T ground cumin
1 T ground coriander
1 t crushed red pepper
1 t sweet paprika
1/2 t ground turmeric
1/2 t freshly ground pepper
1/8 t Pinch of cinnamon
10 chicken thighs, boneless and skinless (you can also use bone-in thighs)
1 t canola oil
1. In a large bowl, using a wooden spoon, mash the garlic and ginger with 1/2 teaspoon of salt to a coarse paste. Stir in the yogurt and 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, then add the cumin, coriander, crushed red pepper, paprika, turmeric, pepper, and cinnamon.
2. Using a sharp knife, make 3 to 4 deep slashes in the thighs on both sides. Add the chicken to the marinade, toss to coat and refrigerate overnight.
3. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
4. Remove the chicken from the marinade and scrape some of it off. Set out for 20 minutes to warm.
5. Add 1 teaspoon of oil to a pre-heated, oven-safe pan. Season the chicken with remaining salt and place on pan. Cook for 5 minutes, until browned. Flip and cook the other side until browned.
6. Place pan in the oven, and cook chicken for another 5-10 minutes, until it reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees. Remove from oven and serve.
Nutrition per serving
Adapted from Food & Wine.