This week, the Culinary Medicine team is here to share a recipe for Ricotta Hot Cakes with Berry Syrup, perfect for mornings with family!
Ingredients (Serves 8):
- 1 cup low-fat ricotta cheese 1⁄3 cup low-fat cottage cheese 3⁄4 cup 2% milk
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 3⁄4 tsp. baking powder
- 1⁄8 tsp. salt
- Spray canola or olive oil
Berry Syrup (optional)
- 1 cup raspberries (can use frozen)
- 1 cup blueberries (can use frozen)
- 1 cup strawberries (can use frozen)
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- Place all berries in a pot over medium to low heat to cook while hotcakes are prepared.
- Whisk together the ricotta, cottage cheese, milk, and egg yolks in a medium bowl (the mixture should be lumpy).
- Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt over the ricotta mix and stir until combined.
- Whisk egg whites in a separate bowl until stiff peaks form
- Gently fold the whipped egg whites into the batter to retain as much volume as possible.
- Heat a skillet or medium sauté pan over medium heat, and oil.
- Drop 2 tablespoons of batter per hotcake. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until there are bubbles forming and edges are beginning to dry. Flip and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add lemon zest and juice to berries. Option to blend or mashberries.
- Serve hotcakes with berry syrup.
Culinary Medicine Series
Culinary medicine blends the art of food and cooking with the science of medicine. Discover how eating high-quality meals can help prevent and treat disease while restoring well-being. From our home to yours! Join registered dietitians virtually each week as our team guide you through recipe hacks, how to use pantry staples, and the latest nutrition research.
Looking for more recipes online? Visit the recipe section of our blog for all the latest!Register for Culinary Medicine Classes