The days are shorter and colder, so why not warm up with a delicious bowl of turkey lean bean chili from our Culinary Medicine cooking series?
Turkey Chili Ingredients
20 oz 93% lean ground turkey
½ cup onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
10 oz can Rotel mild tomatoes with green chiles, no salt added
8 oz can tomato sauce, low sodium
15 oz can black beans, no salt added, drained and rinsed
¾ cup water
½ T cumin
½ T chili powder
½ T paprika
1 bay leaf
1 medium sweet potato, peeled and diced into ½ inch cubes
Salt to taste
Optional: fresh cilantro or Greek yogurt for garnish
Method of Preparation
1. In a large skillet, brown turkey over medium-high heat. Break up the turkey into smaller pieces as it cooks. Season with salt and cumin.
2. Once the turkey is browned and cooked through add onion and garlic. Cook an additional 3 minutes over medium heat.
3. Add Rotel tomatoes, sweet potato, tomato sauce, black beans, water, chili powder, paprika, salt, and bay leaf.
4. Cover and simmer over medium-low heat until potatoes are soft and cooked through (about 25 minutes). Stir occasionally.
5. Add 1/4 cup more water if needed. Remove bay leaf and serve. Optional top with fresh cilantro or Greek yogurt.
Nutrition per serving (about 1 cup)
Adapted from Skinny Taste.