Enjoy this healthy, crispy, tofu recipe that’s totally vegan! Serve it alongside your favorite side dish when you’re looking to add more protein to your diet.
1 (15 oz.) block extra-firm tofu, pressed
1 cup non-dairy milk
1 t lemon juice
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 t salt, divided
1 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
3 T nutritional yeast
1 t garlic powder
1/2 t basil, dried
1/2 t oregano, dried
1/4 t black pepper
1. Begin by removing as much water as possible from tofu. Either in a tofu press or by placing on some paper towels and placing something heavy on top. Press for at least 15 minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
3. Then, get 3 mixing bowls. In one bowl, pour the milk and lemon juice. Whisk to combine, it should begin to thicken a bit.
4. In the second bowl, add the flour and 1 teaspoon of salt. Whisk to combine.
5. In the third bowl, add the panko, nutritional yeast, garlic, basil, oregano, the remaining 1 teaspoon of salt and the pepper. Whisk to combine.
6. When the tofu is ready, slice it making 4 wide “steaks”.
7. Spray a baking sheet with non-stick spray, or rub it with olive oil.
8. Then, taking one tofu steak, place it in the flour mixture. Coat and shake off the excess, then place into the almond milk, coating completely, then back into the flour, then back into the almond milk, then into the panko. Coat completely with the bread crumbs and herbs. Pressing it on to the tofu if need be, and up the sides.
9. Place the tofu on the baking sheet and repeat with the other slices of tofu. Spray the tops of the tofu with more non-stick spray, or drizzle with olive oil*.
10. Bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes. Flipping the tofu halfway through baking. Bake until golden brown and crispy. Add a squeeze of lemon. Serve immediately with sides of choice!
*Spraying the tofu with non-stick cooking spray or drizzling with oil helps to brown the tofu.
Adapted from Rabbits and Wolves Vegan Food Blog.
Join us every Tuesday in our Demonstration Kitchen to learn more healthy recipes like this. Find out more HERE.