- 1 15 oz. can lentils
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- 1 yellow onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1⁄4 tsp. cardamom seed, ground
- 1⁄8 tsp. cinnamon, ground
- 1⁄4 tsp. black pepper
- Salt to taste
- 8-10 spring roll sheets or about 20 wonton wrappers
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil (divided to sauté and brush finished sambusas)
Method of Preparation
- Heat olive oil and sauté the onion, garlic, and jalapeno until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add spices and sauté for another 2 minutes.
- Add the canned lentils and cook for about 5-7 minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasoning with salt.
- Remove from heat and let cool, then stir in the chopped cilantro.
- Heat the oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- To fold with a spring roll or wonton wrapper, generously dampen the edges by dipping a finger inwater and spreading it around the perimeter of the wrapper.
- If using spring roll wrappers, bring the bottom corner up to meet the top to create a small triangle-shaped pocket, pressing on the edges to seal. Mound one heaping Tbsp. of filling into the triangle-shaped pocket. Fold over to enclose the filling completely, then continue folding until the end of the sheet wraps around itself. Set on the baking sheet.
- If using wonton wrappers, mound 1-2 tsp. of filling in the center. Fold over to enclose, making a triangle shape, pressing down on all edges to seal. Set on the baking sheet.
- Repeat until you run out of filling and wrappers.
- Brush the sambusas liberally on all sides with olive oil or use a cooking spray on both sides.
- Bake until golden brown, about 6-10 minutes, then flip and brown the other side for just about 2-3 minutes.
Adapted from: https://demandafrica.com/food/recipes/lentil-sambusas/
Culinary Medicine Series
Culinary medicine blends the art of food and cooking with the science of medicine. Discover how eating high-quality meals can help prevent and treat disease while restoring well-being. From our home to yours! Join registered dietitians virtually each week as our team guide you through recipe hacks, how to use pantry staples, and the latest nutrition research. Join our cooking demonstrations every other Tuesday night!