Summer is here, which means more time outdoors and grilling with your friends and family. Enjoy these healthy recipes cooked up on the grill!
Easy BBQ Chicken
1 ½ pounds chicken breasts or thighs
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
3/4 cup ketchup
1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
3 T white wine vinegar
2 T minced onion
2 T Dijon mustard
1/4 to 1 t hot sauce, (recommended: Tabasco)
1/4 t freshly ground black pepper
3 t chopped scallions (white and light green parts)
1 1/2 t freshly grated lime zest
1 1/2 t freshly squeezed lime juice
Lime wedges, for serving
1. For the sauce: In a small bowl, whisk together the ketchup, brown sugar, vinegar, onion, mustard, hot sauce, and black pepper. Stir in the scallions, lime zest, and lime juice. Set aside.
2. Prepare a medium-hot grill.
3. Season the chicken with salt and pepper, to taste. Put the chicken on the grill and cook 4 inches from the heat, turning once, for 10 minutes per side.
4. Baste the chicken with half the sauce and grill or broil for 5 minutes more. Transfer the chicken to a serving platter, drizzle with some of the reserved sauce, and serve with lime wedges and the remaining reserved sauce.
Nutrition per serving
Grilled Mediterranean Vegetable Salad
1 red pepper, seeded and sliced
1 yellow pepper, seeded and sliced
2 zucchini, sliced lengthways
1 red onion, sliced thickly
Olive oil spray
2 T olive oil
2 cloves garlic, crushed or chopped finely
1 T chopped parsley
2 t balsamic vinegar
8 Kalamata olives
1. Heat the grill.
2. Place peppers, zucchini, and onion in a bowl and spray with olive oil; season as needed.
3. Place veggies on the grill, cooking until wilted and lightly colored.
4. Return to bowl and add olives, garlic, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and parsley.
5. Toss and allow for the flavors to mingle.
Veggie nutrition per serving
Dressing nutrition per serving