Fitness Center Safety Guidelines and Information
We will be updating this page often as information continues to evolve. Please make sure to check back often and stay informed.
We have worked hard to prepare a phased re-opening plan for our 30,000-sf Fitness Center that we have presented to campus leadership. Our plan, carefully developed to ensure a safe experience for all and in compliance with all state and regulatory agencies, includes capacity limits to ensure that social fitnessing can be maintained throughout each phase. Our plan includes the following summarized phases:
Phase I: Fitness Center access for one-on-one personal training only (existing member clients only), with no access for general members.
Phase II: Fitness Center access to include the addition of massage therapy and general member workout sessions based on 60-minute reservations.
Phase III: Fitness Center access to include the addition of limited studio use for group exercise classes (this phase has not yet been approved by campus leadership).
Member Safety Guidelines
Responsible social fitnessing plays a vital role in maintaining a safe experience for all. Please make sure that you read and understand the following information prior to your visit. We require all members to adhere to the following safety guidelines while at AHWC:
DO NOT come to AHWC if:
- You are ill or feel sick (cough, fever, respiratory symptoms).
- You are under quarantine, have had close, unprotected contact with anyone who has tested positive for COVID-19 or is presumptive positive within the last two weeks, or is awaiting test results while they had symptoms or in the two weeks before they began showing symptoms.
- You have traveled outside of the U.S. in the last month.
Prior to Visiting AHWC:
- All members must have reserved workout time (maximum scheduled interval is currently 60-minutes per day) through the member app or website portal. Reservations are open 24 hours in advance. Appointments for personal training or massage must be made individually with the personal trainer or body work therapist prior to coming to the center. For instructions for reserving workout time on the member app or website portal, click here.
- Enter through the east (main) entrance only and exit through south exit (directly from inside the Fitness Center) only.
- Be prepared to respond to screening questions and have your temperature taken upon entry.
- Be prepared to bring your own mask to wear while in the center.
- Day lockers are not available at this time (except for members with existing rented lockers). Please either leave your belongings in your car or keep them with you while you are in the Fitness Center.
- While we welcome all of our members back to the Fitness Center, your safety is of paramount concern to us. We want to remind some of you who are at higher risk for severe illness related to COVID-19, including, but not limited to, older people (over age 65), people with chronic medical conditions, and people who are immunocompromised, to please consider the risks and benefits before coming back to the center. While risk begins to rise over age 65, it rises further for those over 70, and further still for those over 80. We will leave the judgement to you about what is best, we do not restrict the use of the Fitness Center by age.
- Everyone must a wear a mask at ALL times while in the center. Face shields are NOT acceptable forms of face coverings. We are guided by campus and CDC policies regarding face coverings. For more information, see the “Membership FAQs” dropdown below.
- All members must sign an updated liability waiver at the front desk prior to entering the fitness center for the first time.
- Adhere to social distance markers in the lobby and social fitnessing guidelines while on the fitness floor. Maintain at least six (6) feet between you and others when possible at all times.
- Please use the stairs if you are able. Elevators are only available for four (4) people at a time for those that are unable to use the stairs.
- No gathering or consumption of food is allowed in the lobby.
- Water bottle filling stations inside the Fitness Center may be used to fill your water bottles, however, water fountains with mouth spouts are currently not in use.
- Apply hand sanitizer upon entering the fitness floor, prior to starting your workout.
- Adhere to arrows indicating directional flow and right of way on stairs
- Only use open (unmarked) equipment—do not adjust equipment markers.
- Limit time on cardio equipment to 30 minutes when others are waiting.
- Limit time on strength equipment when others are waiting.
- No “working-in” sets with other exercisers.
- Wipe down all equipment when you are finished (all touch points).
- Respect signage regarding areas that may be closed or at capacity.
- Practice frequent hand washing (for at least 20 seconds per time).
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Spray and wipe surfaces in shower stall when done (cleaner and cloths are available at the front desk). Please deposit the cleaning cloth in the designated receptacle in the locker room and the spray bottle must be brought back to the front desk.
- Day lockers are not available for use at this time (except for members with existing rented lockers). Please either leave your belongings in your car or keep them with you while you are in the Fitness Center.
Specific Area Guidelines
Please read through the following usage and safety guidelines for specific areas throughout the Fitness Center:
- Cardio Equipment (First and Second Floors) – Every other machine is closed. Must be cleaned after each use.
- Open Stretch Area – Floor is marked with six (6) square feet sections. Any equipment used must be cleaned after each use.
- Free Weight Area – All equipment is spaced six (6) feet apart or closed. Floor is marked for waiting area. All equipment must be cleaned after each use.
- FIT Lab – Limited to six (6) people at a time. Floor is marked with six (6) square feet sections. TRX is limited to one (1) person at a time. All equipment must be cleaned after each use.
- TRX Area – Limited to one (1) person at a time. Must be cleaned after each use.
- Strength Machines – All equipment is spaced six (6) feet apart or closed. Must be cleaned after each use.
- Functional Corner (Second Floor) – Floor is marked for six (6) feet spacing. All equipment must be cleaned after each use.
- Pilates Table – Limited to one (1) person at a time. Must be cleaned after each use.
- Track – Middle lane is closed.
- Assessment Room – Closed at this time.
- Pool and Hot Tub – Closed at this time.
- Steam Rooms and Sauna – Closed at this time.
- Studio 3 – Members may utilize Studio 3 on a walk-in basis, with no reservation required. Both studio doors must remain open at all times for air circulation. Audio cabinets will remained locked. No more than six (6) members may be in the studio at one time. All other guidelines posted at the studio entrance must be followed. All other studio spaces remained closed at this time.
- Locker Rooms – Every other sink is closed. Hair spray, deodorant, and hair dryers are currently unavailable. Showers must be cleaned following each use (cleaner and cloths are located at the front desk). Lockers are currently only available for members with existing rented lockers.
All Integrative Bodywork (massage and Aston Kinetics) clients and team members are required to follow all center safety guidelines and procedures. Additional massage-specific guidelines and information include:
- All scheduled appointments will be spaced out 15 minutes or more to allow for extra sanitization measures.
- To allow for increased air flow, we have temporarily moved the location of our massages. After you check in with the front desk, your therapist will meet you in the lobby area and escort you to your room.
- Face masks are required for both you and your therapist for the duration of each session. Please contact your therapist if this will presents a potential problem for you.
- To schedule a massage appointment, you may continue to use the Integrative Bodywork forms on the website OR you can email Sara.firstname.lastname@example.org or Matthew.email@example.com to make an appointment directly.
- For Aston Kinetics inquires or to schedule an appointment, email Amanda.firstname.lastname@example.org.
Additional Safety Measures
We have implemented the following safety measures to keep members, visitors, and our staff safe:
General Social Distancing Protocols:
- We have limited our hours of operation, as well as maximum capacity limits for staff and members.
- General member workout scheduling, reservation system, and check in is implemented through the member app and website portal.
- Touchpoints are minimized throughout the center, including at check in.
- Social distancing precautions will be observed in the center—markers and signage are placed throughout to guide and remind.
- Social fitnessing protocols are in place, including equipment spacing (every other machine is closed to allow for six feet of space) and usage. Floors are marked off with six feet sections.
Additional Cleaning and Sanitization Measures:
- Increased equipment cleaning by staff. Members are also responsible for wiping down all equipment when you are finished (all touch points).
- Additional daily sanitization protocols are in place.
- Additional hand sanitizer and equipment wipes are readily available through the center.
- Staff are directed to work from home when possible and high-risk staff remain on remote work.
- Staff must follow CU Anschutz Medical Campus safety guidelines, including a daily reporting and screening process prior to coming to AHWC.
- A dedicated COVID-19 Coordinator and specified administrative staff are responsible for enforcement, screening, monitoring, social distancing, and PPE protocol adherence.
- All staff are required to wear masks while at the center.
- Plexi barriers are placed at the front desk and at the membership desk.
Member Virtual Resources
Stay active from anywhere! If you are not quite ready to come back to AHWC or if we are not yet able to fully accommodate your needs, that doesn’t mean you can’t keep up with a healthy fitness routine. Take advantage of our member resources, including workouts and tips from your favorite trainers, mindfulness videos, self-massage techniques, recipes, and more on our Health and Wellness Resources page. Please contact us at Membership@anschutzwellness.com for other member options and solutions to fit your needs.
Virtual Group Exercise Classes – Contact us if you did not receive the password for our class schedule. All classes are conducted via Zoom.
At-Home Workouts – Workout with some of your favorite trainers with these workouts that can be done anywhere.
Les Mills Online Classes – Try out one of the 100+ classes across ten categories from our friends at Les Mills.
Virtual One-on-One Personal Training – Sign up now for our Intro Pack ($199), which includes a Wellness Assessment and three sessions, customized to help you achieve your personal fitness goals. The Virtual One-on-One Personal Training Intro Pack is only available for new clients only.
Virtual FIT Group – Included as part of our GEX schedule (via Zoom), train with a small group in our Functional Innovative Training Groups, held on Mondays, Wednesday and Fridays at 6:00pm.
Mindful Mondays with Dr. Liz – Join Dr. Elizabeth Chamberlain, Psychologist at the CU Wellness Center at AHWC for mindful reminders and practices.
Self Massage – Join our Integrative Bodywork Team for a series of self-massage tips and techniques to relieve common trigger points.
Nutritious Recipes – Check out our portfolio of healthy, nutritious, and easy-to-make recipes from our AHWC dietitians.
Culinary Medicine Cooking Classes – Join our registered dietitians each Tuesday night to explore meal planning, new recipes, and the latest nutrition research. Contact us if you did not receive your member code.
When will the Fitness Center reopen?
We have presented our phased reopening plan to campus leadership and have currently been approved through Phase II. We continue to be guided by local and state mandates and are anxious to open for Phase III (group exercise classes). Once we have confirmation, we will notify all members via email, our social media channels, and on this page.
What are the Fitness Center hours?
The Fitness Center’s hours during Phase II of our reopening are Monday – Friday from 5am-8pm and Saturday and Sunday from 7am-2pm.
Do I have to make a reservation to workout or can I walk in?
We strongly suggest making a reservation to ensure availability. If you choose to walk in, you may be allowed to use the Fitness Center based on capacity, but are not guaranteed workout time. You may also call ahead to the front desk and inquire about reservation availability prior to arriving. In these cases, we will manually add you to our reservation system. Reservations are open 24 hours in advance. All 60-minute workouts begin and end on the quarter hour. For instructions for reserving workout time on the member app or website portal, click here.
Can I workout/make a reservation more than once per day?
At this time, we ask that members limit their gym time to once per day. We are closely monitoring usage and may change this policy as our processes evolve.
What types of face coverings are acceptable when visiting AHWC?
Face masks/coverings that cover the nose and mouth, while secured under the chin, are mandatory to enter AHWC and must be worn at ALL times. Face shields (typically do not enclose around the nose and chin) alone are NOT acceptable. See CDC recommendations for face masks here.
Will I be able to use a locker?
At this time, lockers are only available to members with existing lockers, as they are dedicated to one person, per state guidelines. Please either leave your belongings in your car or keep them with you while you are in the Fitness Center.
Will I be able to shower?
Yes, members may use the showers, but you must keep all of your belongings with you in the shower stall, as lockers are not available. In order to use the showers, you must take a spray bottle (filled with an alcohol sterilizing solution) and cleaning cloth from the front desk to clean the shower after use. The spray bottles help us limit the number of patrons in each locker room. After showering, you must spray and wipe down all high touch surfaces to protect the next user. Cleaning cloths should be deposited in designated receptacle in the locker room and the spray bottle must be brought back to the front desk.
When will live/in-person group exercise classes start?
GEX classes will start, with additional safety protocols and limited capacities, when Phase III of our reopening plan is approved by campus leadership. We currently do not have an estimated timeline for Phase III. Until that time, all members are encouraged to utilize our virtual GEX classes.
What is the current status of my membership?
All member dues billings, as well as other billings for any other recurring fees for service were suspended through our reopening. You may continue to suspend/freeze your membership, at no cost, for up to six months, at which time we will reevaluate our freeze policy. Because we were unable to serve you for the second half of March, no member dues will be charged until July 1, 2020. Unless you have proactively frozen your account, your member dues will be charged on or around July 1, 2020. For any questions related to billing, please contact Tamika Lewis at Tamika.email@example.com. For other membership inquiries, please contact Membership@anschutzwellness.com.
What if I am not comfortable coming back to AHWC even after it is open?
It is important that you do not come back to the center until you feel comfortable. Please refer to our guidelines and protocols that are in place to keep you, our visitors, and staff safe. In the meantime, please take advantage of our health and wellness resources listed on the “Member Virtual Resources” dropdown menu on this page or contact us at Membership@anschutzwellness.com for other member options and solutions to fit your needs.
Why haven’t I received information from the center about my membership or the building opening status?
All members should receive our monthly member newsletter and other email communications. If you have not been receiving our information, often we have found that members have unsubscribed in the past or that emails are going to a spam/junk folder (please update your setting to receive email from Info@anschutzwellness.com). If you have not been receiving our emails or would like to re-subscribe, please contact us at Info@anschutzwellness.com.
What if I have other questions?
Please contact us at Membership@anschutzwellness.com or 303-724-WELL (9355).
RESERVE YOUR WORKOUT TIME
Learn how to reserve your workout time on the member app or website portal with our step-by-step instructions.SEE INSTRUCTIONS
WE MISSED YOU!
See what our Fitness Team is most excited about with our reopening.SEE VIDEO
CU Wellness Clinic
The CU Wellness Clinic at AHWC is now open for virtual appointments and limited in-person appointments!Learn More
Virtual Personal Training
We are now accepting new clients for our Virtual Personal Training Intro Pack, which includes a Wellness Assessment and three customized sessions for $199!Learn More
Find Us On Facebook
Fitness Center: 303-724-WELL (9355)
Wellness Clinic: 303-724-9030
12348 E Montview Blvd.
Aurora, CO 80045
Fitness Center Hours