1/2 – 1lb (1 -2 large) boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
2 T olive oil
1 T chili powder
1 large onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, crushed
2 T canned chipolte peppers in adobo sauce, minced
2 quarts low-sodium chicken broth
28 oz. no-added-salt canned, diced tomatoes
2 (14 – 16 oz. each) cams no-added-salt black beans
1 bunch cilantro, chopped (save some to use as garnish)
Corn chips, for garnish
Lime wedges, for garnish
Avocado, slice, for garnish
Shredded Monterrey jack cheese, for garnish
1. Heat soup pot over medium heat.
2. Add olive oil, chicken, onion, garlic and chili powder.
3. Cook 5-7 minutes or until onion is softened and exterior of chicken is cooked.
4. Add minced chipolte peppers and cook for 1-2 minutes.
5. Add chicken broth, tomatoes, beans and cilantro. Bring mixture to a boil and reduce heat to medium low.
6. Continue cooking for another 5-10 minutes.
7. Serve with cilantro, corn chips, lime wedges, avocado and/or jack cheese as garnish.
Nutrition per serving:
Recipe courtesy of Holly Prehn, RD