This comforting Mac-n-Cheese recipe is a great way to add a healthy, winter favorite vegetable into an old classic. The butternut squash adds a beautiful hue and earthier taste to this classic dish.
Butternut Squash Mac-n-Cheese Ingredients
1 lb. pound whole-wheat elbow macaroni, cooked according to package directions
1 large butternut squash
2 T olive oil
3 T butter
½ cup all-purpose flour
3 cups skim milk
1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
½ t salt
¼ t pepper
Method of Preparation
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Cut squash in half lengthwise; remove seeds. Place in roasting pan and drizzle with olive oil. Cook until soft, about 1 hour. Set aside until cool. When cooled, remove skin and place in food processor. Purée until smooth.
3. Make cheese sauce. Melt butter in a saucepan. Add flour. Stir to make a roux and cook minutes, stirring the entire time.
4. Add milk slowly, while whisking until thickened. Bring to a low boil, stirring occasionally, until thickened.
5. Add shredded cheese and stir until melted. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Place cooked elbow macaroni in a bowl. Pour half of the cheese sauce over and add the puréed roasted butternut squash. Fold together. Add the rest of the cheese sauce.
7. Place in an ovenproof dish and heat for 15 minutes at 325 degrees.
Nutrition per serving
Interested in learning to cook recipes like this? Our Culinary Medicine Program holds regular cooking classes. Find out more information and sign up for our cooking classes HERE.