Three words to describe this black bean chili: Fall. Filling. Flavorful. Double (or triple) the ingredients, freeze, and you’re set for the week! Eat it over brown rice or couscous.
Oh, did we mention it’s a one-pot meal as well?
Butternut Squash Black Bean Chili Ingredients
1 Tbsp. olive oil½ medium butternut squash, seeded, peeled and 1-inch diced
½ large yellow onion, chopped
½ red bell pepper, chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes, no salt added
1 15.5 oz. can black beans, low sodium, drained and rinsed
1-2 cups water
1 ½ Tbsp. chili powder
1 Tbsp. oregano
1 Tbsp. basil
½ tsp. broth concentrate (optional)
Salt and pepper to taste
Method of Preparation
1. In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat and add butternut squash.
2. Stir until it is lightly golden, about 10-15 minutes.
3. Add onion, bell pepper, and garlic and sauté for another 5 minutes.
4. Add tomatoes, beans, water, chili powder, oregano, basil, salt, pepper, and broth concentrate if using. Bring to a boil.
5. Cover and reduce heat to simmer and cook for another 20-30 minutes or until vegetables are soft.
6. Serve with brown rice or couscous.
Nutrition per Serving
Total Fat: 5g
This Butternut Squash Black Bean Chili recipe is curated by our culinary medicine team. Find more healthy recipes here, browse our Pinterest boards, or join us on Tuesday evenings for our virtual cooking classes!