The Culinary Medicine team has a recipe for a filling and festive Butternut Squash Black Bean Chili, perfect for cozy autumn nights!
Butternut Squash Black Bean Chili Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 1⁄2 medium butternut squash, seeded, peeled and 1” dice 1⁄2 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes, no salt added
- 15.5 oz. can black beans, low sodium, drained and rinsed 1-2 cup water
- 1 1⁄2 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 Tbsp. oregano
- 1 Tbsp. basil
- 1⁄2 tsp. broth concentrate (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat and add butternut squash.
- Stir until it is lightly golden, about 10-15 minutes.
- Add onion, garlic, and bell pepper and sauté for another 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, beans, water, salt, pepper, broth concentrate if using, herbs and spices. Bring to a boil.
- Cover and reduce heat to simmer and cook for another 20-30 minutes or until vegetables are soft.
- Serve with brown rice or couscous.
Culinary Medicine Series
Culinary medicine blends the art of food and cooking with the science of medicine. Discover how eating high-quality meals can help prevent and treat disease while restoring well-being. From our home to yours! Join registered dietitians virtually each week as our team guide you through recipe hacks, how to use pantry staples, and the latest nutrition research.
Looking for more recipes online? Visit the recipe section of our blog for all the latest!Register for Culinary Medicine Classes