This week, the Culinary Medicine team has a recipe for beet-filled Borscht!
Borscht Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 4 medium beets, washed and quartered 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 parsnip, chopped
- 1 leek, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 tsp. allspice
- 1⁄2 cup lemon juice
- 6 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 2 Tbsp. low fat yogurt
- Place all vegetables, bay leaves, allspice and lemon juice together in a saucepan. Cover with the stock and bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat to simmer and cook for 30 minutes or until vegetables are soft.
- Remove the bay leaves.
- Mix in a blender and season to taste.
- Serve warm or cold with a dollop of yogurt.
Culinary Medicine Series
Culinary medicine blends the art of food and cooking with the science of medicine. Discover how eating high-quality meals can help prevent and treat disease while restoring well-being. From our home to yours! Join registered dietitians virtually each week as our team guide you through recipe hacks, how to use pantry staples, and the latest nutrition research.
Looking for more recipes online? Visit the recipe section of our blog for all the latest!Register for Culinary Medicine Classes