24 oz. ground beef (96% lean)
1 large carrot, diced (1/4 inch pieces)
½ med. onion, diced ¼ tsp. salt
Olive oil spray
1 leek, white part only, sliced thin
2 T garlic, minced
½ t dried thyme
1 t tomato paste
4 oz. brown mushrooms, sliced
½ t salt
¼ t pepper
1 cup low-sodium beef broth
2 T Worcestershire Sauce
For the Cauliflower Mash Topping
1 head cauliflower, riced or cut into small florets
1/4 t salt
Pinch garlic powder
2 t olive oil
1/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees
2. Spray a hot pan with olive oil spray.
3. Working in small batches, brown the beef in the pan over medium-high heat.
4. Add carrots, leeks, garlic, thyme, and tomato paste and cook for 3-4 minutes.
5. Add mushrooms and cook for further 2 minutes.
6. Add salt, pepper, beef broth, and Worcestershire sauce, and stir to combine. Allow this to simmer while preparing the topping.
7. Make cauliflower mash topping by steaming the cauliflower until very soft. Drain and add to a food processor.
8. Add chicken broth, salt, garlic powder, and olive oil, and blend until very smooth.
9. Place beef mixture at the bottom of a casserole dish. Top with cauliflower mash.
10. Bake for 20-25 minutes.
Nutrition per serving:
State of Slim Nutritional Guidelines
1 lean protein (4 oz.) + 1 vegetable carbohydrate
Interested in learning to cook recipes like this? Our Culinary Medicine Program holds regular cooking classes. Find out more information and sign up for our cooking classes HERE.