Avocado brownies? That’s right! Bake this mouth-watering brownie recipe that features avocado, black beans, and zero flour. Make it this weekend in celebration of National Avocado Day (July 31, 2020)!
Avocado Black Bean Brownies Ingredients
1 15 oz. can of black beans, rinsed and drained
2 eggs or flax eggs (add an additional egg if you like cakier brownies)
1⁄2 of a large ripe avocado
1 Tbsp. melted coconut oil
1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder plus 1 tablespoon
1⁄2 tsp. baking powder
1⁄4 tsp. baking soda
1⁄4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
2⁄3 cup coconut sugar or sub brown sugar (or sub 1/2 cup pure maple syrup)
1⁄3 cup chocolate chips + 2 tablespoons for topping
Method of Preparation
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8×8 inch baking pan.
2. Place all ingredients besides chocolate chips into blender or food processor. Process or puree until ingredients form a smooth batter. If the batter is WAY too thick and won’t process then add in a teaspoon or two of water. This batter needs to be very thick in order to produce fudgy brownies.
3. Add in 1/3 cup chocolate chips and fold into batter.
4. Pour batter into prepared pan, sprinkle with remaining chocolate chips. You can also fold in nuts or swirl in peanut butter.
5. Bake for 25-35 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out somewhat clean and top of the brownies begin to crack. Cool pan completely on a wire rack then cut into 12 large brownies.
Nutrition per serving
This avocado brownies recipe is curated by our culinary medicine team and adapted from Ambitious Kitchen.