This week, the Culinary Medicine team welcomes special guest Skylar Weir, a nutrition graduate student, to share this recipe for vegan and gluten free Apple Spice Blender Muffins!
Ingredients (Serves 12):
- 2 Tbsp. flax meal
- 6 Tbsp. water
- 1 1⁄2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄2 cup non-dairy milk
- 1⁄2 cup maple syrup
- 1⁄3 cup raisins (or 3 pitted dates)
- 2 1⁄2 cup gluten-free rolled oats
- 1⁄2 cup almond flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 3⁄4 tsp. nutmeg
- 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- Chopped pecans for topping
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Line a muffin pan with muffin liners or grease with coconut oil so muffins don’t stick.
- Make your flax eggs by combing the flax meal with water in a small bowl. Set aside to gel for at least 5-10 minutes.
- In your high-speed blender, add the rest of the ingredients in the order listed (except the pecans). Add the flax eggs once they have formed a gel.
- Blend on high until a smooth and sticky batter forms.
- Pour the batter all the way to the top of each lined or greased muffin tin.
- Top each muffin with chopped pecans.
- Bake the muffins for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Enjoy!
Culinary Medicine Series
Culinary medicine blends the art of food and cooking with the science of medicine. Discover how eating high-quality meals can help prevent and treat disease while restoring well-being. From our home to yours! Join registered dietitians virtually each week as our team guide you through recipe hacks, how to use pantry staples, and the latest nutrition research.
Looking for more recipes online? Visit the recipe section of our blog for all the latest!Register for Culinary Medicine Classes