This week, the Culinary Medicine team presents a recipe for crispy Air Fryer Falafel!
Air Fryer Falafel Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 2 garlic cloves, diced
- 1 cup dried chickpeas
- ½ small onion
- ½ cup parsley, chopped
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ¾ tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Red pepper or cayenne, to taste
- Cooking spray
- Day before cooking: place chickpeas in large bowl and cover with plenty of water. The chickpeas should be covered with at least 3 inches of water and soak for 18-24 hours.
- Drain chickpeas completely. Pat dry with clean kitchen towel. Transfer chickpeas to large food processor. Add in all other ingredients.
- Process all ingredients for about 20 seconds, then scrape down the sides of the food processor and blend again. Do this a few times until the mixture is well-combined by not pureed.
- If time allows, refrigerate falafel mixture for 45-60 minutes.
- Preheat your air fryer (or oven) to 375F. Use an ice cream scoop to scoop the falafel mixture and shape with your hands to form a ball. You can also make patties (recommended if baking in the oven).
- Spray the falafel balls and the basket of the air fryer with cooking spray. Arrange falafel evenly in air fryer trying to not overcrowd the basket. You may need to cook in batches.
- Cook the falafel balls in the air fryer for 15 minutes (about 20 in the oven) flipping after 10 minutes. They should be crispy and slightly brown on the outside.
Culinary Medicine Series
Culinary medicine blends the art of food and cooking with the science of medicine. Discover how eating high-quality meals can help prevent and treat disease while restoring well-being. From our home to yours! Join registered dietitians virtually each week as our team guide you through recipe hacks, how to use pantry staples, and the latest nutrition research.
Looking for more recipes online? Visit the recipe section of our blog for all the latest!Register for Culinary Medicine Classes