March is all about moving smarter, not harder, and one of the best ways to move smarter is to take care of your body with regular massage treatments. Think you’re too busy? Try sports massage! Despite its “athletic” sounding name, you don’t have to be Tom Brady to enjoy the benefits of sports massage—not even close.
“Sports massage is really for everyone,” says Kelly McNamee, head massage therapist at CU Anschutz Health and Wellness Center. “It’s a big picture treatment that focuses on improving movement of your entire body.”
Here are three reasons McNamee says sports massage is a must for everyone:
You have fitness goals you want to reach
Having a plan to reach your fitness goals is key. We all know that. Often what we forget in our master plan is how important both movement AND massage are in the big picture. This is where sports massage can work magic.
So, what is it exactly? The quick answer is, it’s a specific application of massage techniques to get specific results which means it’s specific to you. Each session is geared around threm key principles.
- When refers to the timing of when the massage is given: pre-exercise, post-exercise, during recovery, during a maintenance period, or during an injury rehabilitation period.
- What refers to technique and what application of massage is needed based on the goals you’re working toward. These techniques include different strokes, different pressures, different range of motion techniques, and more.
- Why refers to the specific goal or reason(s) for treatment: as a warm-up, to increase blood flow, increase flexibility, improve strength or overall performance, stimulate neurological pathways, improve posture, aid recovery from exertion, prevent injury, or speed recovery from an injury.
You move your body at some point during the week
Just remember, if you move, you are an athlete. And being the athlete you are means your body needs movement and recovery. It is a myth that one has to be a high-level athlete to benefit from a sports massage. Whether you’re a weekend warrior, a mid to high level athlete, or maybe just starting your exercise journey, everyone at any level can experience the benefits of Sports massage
You want less sore and to move more!
Ever experience soreness? Muscle tension? Low-back pain? Slow progress or a plateau toward your goals? Research has shown that in relation to exercise and athletic participation, massage can:
- Reduce muscle tension
- Promote relaxation
- Reduce muscle hypertonicity
- Increase range of motion
- Improve soft tissue function
- Decrease muscle stiffness and fatigue after exercise
- Improve exercise performance
- Decrease delayed onset muscle soreness
- Reduce serum creatine kinase post exercise
- Reduce swelling
- Reduce breathing pattern disorders
- Enhance athletic performance
- May help prevent injuries when massage is received regularly
- Support the recovery of heart rate variability and diastolic blood pressure after high-intensity exercise.
- Help athletes monitor muscle tone
Who doesn’t want be less sore and achieve more?
Learn more about our massage pricing and scheduling by visiting our massage services page!